A Lesson In How Unplanned Days Are Often The Best

20 July 2012








We're at the end of the first week of the school summer holidays. Not that I'm counting. The first week off is always my favourite. Lily's school broke up a week earlier than most schools meaning we can pretty much get the parks and a good stretch of beach all to ourselves. That all changes next week when all the other schools break up.

But with the weather being at best changeable, we've had to make things up as we've gone along this week; ducking the rain showers and finding stuff to do indoors.  But today the rain gave us a break, so we headed to the beach. There's a bit of beach, the nearest bit to us, that has a small wooden jetty running down the shingle to the sea. This is my bit of beach; my garden. It's peaceful and the jetty acts as a low windbreak, cum table, cum bench. It's a good place to be.

Today I decided to take some art supplies with us: paper, coloured pencils, paints and oil pastels. I've never taken such things before. It wasn't planned; just a whim. The kids had a great time, holding their paper down from the breeze with pebbles and washing out their paint brushes in a jar of sea water. It was two-and-a-half hours of non-squabbling sibling time, with each of them totally immersed in what they were doing, only stopping to eat the sausage sandwiches we bought with us from home for lunch.

I, in turn, did nothing but savour a flask of tea, relax with a bit of cross-stitch (I kid you not), and intermittently dashed into the sea to change the water in the paint brush jar. I'm not very good at doing nothing, so it was a good way for me to end the week. I don't have that frazzled end-of-the-week feeling that Friday often brings and maybe that was due to that time out on the beach.

I eventually called time when the wind whipped up and dark grey clouds started to hang above us. Once home they both the Lily and Arthur immediately got their drawing pads out again eager to finish off their pictures.

I've a feeling we will have days such as these again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment