What's your style?

28 June 2011



What's your style? 

I'm talking interior wise - your home, furniture and those bits that surround your everyday. It really matters to me - is that a bad thing? I love design. I always have. I can remember intimate details of the homes I've lived in; from the design of the Habitat tea set I ate off of in the 1970's to the bold blue floral pattern on my childhood bedspread. 

Now that we are staying in our current abode for the next few years we're going to do a bit of much needed work to it. It's the first 'big home project' we've done since having our family, so we need to approach it with that in mind. There is lots of boring stuff to do; the kind of stuff that eats away at tight budgets such a dealing with damp patches and buying loft ladders as well as some electrical and building work.  We'll be living with a bit of dust and disruption in the coming months, that's for sure. But the bit I am looking forward to is the decorating and the careful purchasing of some key furniture pieces. No matter what your style is, the process of putting your stamp on your home is what makes a house a home.

I love the picture that I've used to illustrate this post. It isn't my garden in case you were wondering. I came across this spectacular garden in the village where my parents live. It made me smile so I took a photo of it. Looking back at it now, I love it for its unapologetic display of personal style and taste. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the owner is not shy about declaring his or her style ... and good on them, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment